The Wedgwood Visitor Centre is situated in the midst of 240 acres of glorious Staffordshire countryside, an estate still owned by the company after its purchase in the late 1930’s when Wedgwood re-located from the site it occupied in the centre of Stoke-on-Trent since the eighteenth century.
The approach to the Centre is past green fields and a series of lakes crossed by road bridges. So well designed is the factory, however, that sight of it is obscured until one is almost upon it. When the visitor pulls onto the factory there is ample space for parking, both for coaches and private cars, adjacent to the paved courtyard leading to reception.
In support of Staffordshire Wildlife Trust, Wedgwood have created a new entrance to Heam Heath woodland walk from the Visitor Centre. At the car park you will find a map and information about this ancient woodland, which was mostly planted over 120 years ago.
Although often referred to as Hem Heath, this woodland encompasses four distinct woods - The Oaks, Newstead Wood, Newpark Plantation and Hem Heath. Whatever the title, there’s no doubt that this reserve provides a wonderful green oasis, and is the largest area of woodland in Stoke-on-Trent!